< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://caltechgirlsworld.mu.nu/" /> Not Exactly Rocket Science: Audience Participation Special!!

Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Audience Participation Special!!

This post from Anita at Fighting Inertia got me thinking.

What are the best books you've read recently? Fiction and non-fiction are both ok, as long as you didn't HAVE to read it for work :) Old books and new are also acceptable.

Here's my reply to Anita, as a starter:
Hands down the best recent book I've read this year is Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi. Not fiction, but what a powerful story. Also The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson, which really straddles the lines between fiction and non-fiction as Larson "fills in the gaps" of an amazing true story.

Fiction I liked: The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffeneger; The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time by Mark Haddon; Lucia, Lucia by Adriana Trigiani; and Wicked by Gregory Maguire.
I have a lot of time to read during my behavioral experiments, as you can tell.
Other recent reads: Dark Tower 6 and 7 (aka Metafiction 101 and 102) by Steve King and perennial night stand residents The Shipping News by Annie Proulx, Insomnia by Steve King, and (my favorite book of all time) The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (unabridged, as unabridged as I can find).

Now it's your turn, What's on your reading list?

4 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 09, 2004 6:54:00 PM, Blogger PCK said...

Love your site! Keep up the good work.

P C K N E T

 
At Tuesday, November 09, 2004 9:05:00 PM, Blogger Bill said...

Right now, I'm rereading Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver. Then I'm going to go on to the other two books in it's series. First time I read it, I just blitzed through it get the general plot and characters, now I'm going through and trying to pick up every detail.

 
At Tuesday, November 09, 2004 10:28:00 PM, Blogger Feisty said...

I just re-read for the umpteenth time Florence King's "Southern Ladies and Gentlemen." Ms. King is irreverent, funny, witty, and scathing all at the same time.

;-D

 
At Wednesday, November 10, 2004 2:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite book is "Flashman" by George MacDonald Frasier. I've read it four times now, and the fourth time was two days ago. It's historical fiction, and takes as its protagonist a sort of Victorian reprobate, but a good part of it takes place in Afghanistan. It's not particularly PC, but therein lies much of the fun.

Fred Schoeneman
www.fredschoeneman.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home