< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://caltechgirlsworld.mu.nu/" /> Not Exactly Rocket Science: Everyone else is doing it...

Monday, February 14, 2005

Everyone else is doing it...

Beth just posted hers, and Amanda seems to be posting hers in bits. Even Marie is in on the act, so I guess that I should follow suit, being the inveterate bridge jumper that my mother always feared I'd be. Consider this a VD present.

100 Eleventy-One things about me:
1. I was born in Fresno in the year of the Bicentennial and share my birthday with the US Marine Corps
2. I was 5 days "early", which means that if I had been born on my due date, Darling Husband and I would have shared a birthday (he's a year older than me)
3. I am an only child, the only girl grandchild on one side, and the youngest on either side
4. I flunked kindergarten
5. From 2-12 grades I went to magnet schools for gifted students
6. I got my varsity letter in Band (worse yet, I was in Colorguard)
7. Even so, my letter jacket says "Academic Decathlon" and "Science Bowl" on the front.
8. It says "Miss Einstein" on the back.
9. I actually wear it.
10. Autumn is my favorite season
11. I hate plain chocolate.
12. I took 11 years of Spanish in school, and I'm still embarrassed to speak to others in Spanish.
13. I once broke my toe while trying on formal dresses
14. I used to bite my nails until it hurt. Don't ask me how I stopped, or why
15. I'm terrified of needles, which of course means karmically that I will need blood tests regularly.
16. I'm also terrified of snakes in the wild. I do like live, non-poisonous ones in captivity though. I could have a pet snake.
17. I look god-awful with short hair
18. I do a damn good Cartman impersonation
19. All Time Favorite Group: Simon and Garfunkel
20. Since it costs $16 to go to the movies and $15 to buy a new DVD, we own about 150.
21. I LOVE Christmas. Everything about it.
22. I like to email my friends on May 4th and tell them "May the 4th be with you!"
23. Along the same lines, I also like Pi Day (3/14), which is coincidentally Einstein's Birthday
24. When we got married, the only people in the wedding party who were speaking to each other were the bride and groom. Really.
25. I've been to 37 states and Canada
26. I'm a Christian, but I hate church. I find it too hypocritical
27. I believe that the "Conservation of Crap" theory applies to everything
28. I also believe in karmic justice. Be nice, payback is a bitch.
29. I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis at the age of 23, at the end of my first year of Graduate school
30. Right after we were married, Darling Hubby and I were separated for 3 years (except for vacations) because he was in TX serving in the Army
31. We didn't get to eat the top layer of our wedding cake until our 5th anniversary. It was still good, believe it or not.
32. I'm a slow sleep insomniac. Love the sleep timer feature on the TV, 2 hours = 1 DVD
33. Either I procrastinate or I know exactly how long it takes me to do things. I'll figure it out later.
34. I believe we all have a "secret redneck" lurking inside
35. Mine likes NASCAR and Bojangles biscuits.
36. I have made negative time in the "Negative Time Tommy's Run"
37. I have met and spoken to Stephen Hawking.
38. My favorite TV show of all time is The Pretender. Hey WB, put it out on DVD!!
39. My totem animal is a turtle. You'll see them all over my house and on my license plates.
40. I hate going anywhere alone.
41. I knit like a fiend when my hands work
42. I cannot crochet. For the life of me. It just doesn't work
43. For the record, I also sew and embroider when I can
44. I am making a quilt, too.
45. I love baking, too, but it's hard with the RA
46. My secret hobby is digital photography. I just need a good printer.
47. I have no talent for gardening, either kind.
48. I miss the NHL.
49. I love Survivor and the Amazing Race
50. I'm half Armenian
51. I frequently swear like a sailor, and creatively. I can swear in at least 9 languages.
52. I use the word "dude" a lot
53. I hate the Beatles and the Rolling Stones BOTH. If I HAD to choose, I'd pick the Beatles, though because I will listen to the George Harrison stuff
54. I am worse with the TV remote than my husband and father combined. True.
55. I took up yoga after being diagnosed with RA
56. I should do it more often.
57. I am also a caffeine junkie, but I don't ever get withdrawals
58. Never smoked, never used drugs unless prescribed
59. Of course, I take enough meds to make anyone swear off drugs
60. I don't drink very much, but I can hold my liquor pretty well
61. PETA makes my skin crawl
62. I've had pet dogs, rats, bugs, a bird, and a lizard (briefly). No cats. I can't live with cats.
63. I'm allergic to most common antibiotics
64. I love Cranberry juice
65. Favorite ice cream: Ben and Jerry's Oatmeal Cookie Chunk and Fosselman's Peppermint
66. Popcorn (not surprisingly) is my favorite snack
67. I miss Tommy's, Trader Joe's, and Jack in the B∝
68. I love Invader Zim. GIR and Gaz are my favorite characters
69. We used to sit around at Baja Fresh waiting for the girl at the counter to call out "69, please". Now they say "order 69 is ready".
70. The song I'm most likely to turn up and scream the lyrics to is "Freefallin'"
71. I love it when all of the undergrads leave. Chapel Hill just DIES after Mother's Day.
72. I don't understand why every freaking football team uses AC/DC as an intro before the game
73. Monty Python kicks ass
74. My favorite book is The Count of Monte Cristo. The unabridged complete edition.
75. I also love detective stories, my favorites are the Elvis Cole books by Robert Crais.
76. My husband is better at doing the laundry than I am
77. I never lived in a house with stairs until I was 27
78. Between the 2 of us we have more toys than most 8 year olds
79. I don't need to have a baby, my dog's toys are already all over the house
80. I love to walk in the snow. I love rain best, though, and I am happiest living near the ocean.
81. I have been a "bridesmaid" in a gay Jewish wedding
82. My mother once tried to punish me by taking away all my books. That worked until she caught me reading toothpaste tubes and shampoo bottles in the bathroom.
83. I am a majority member of Job's Daughters and a Past Worthy Advisor of Rainbow Girls
84. I know how to sit properly in a hoopskirt.
85. I sleep best when it's cold outside, with the window cracked and under a pile of blankets
86. I can't have anything on my feet when I sleep. Sometimes even the covers
87. My favorite drink (adult) is a Cosmopolitan. I did mention that I like Cranberry Juice. I hate beer, but I will drink Guinness. Brilliant!
88. I hate those political spectrum quizzes. They always tell me I'm a democrat. More like a fiscal conservative and a social libertarian, I think.
89. I'm addicted to British politics. I watch PMQ on C-SPAN every week.
90. Tony Blair is my political idol
91. Marie Curie is my scientific hero. She was a wife and a mother and won two Nobel Prizes.
92. I like books that are long series about the same characters. Always have. When I was a kid, my favorites were the Little House books and the Anne of Green Gables books.
93. The literary character I most resemble is Turtle Wexler in The Westing Game
94. I will still stop and watch the A-Team at any time of the day or night
95. My favorite soda is Dr. Pepper. And it's a soda or even a coke, NEVER pop.
96. In my house, Everybody Hates Raymond. I hate Seinfeld too, except the Soup Nazi.
97. My dog is severely allergic to everything and eats food made from Kangaroos. She also takes medicine for her allergies that humans take to prevent organ rejection.
98. Clovis is a way of life
99. I have petted Traveler, the USC horse
100. I have been to a professional game in every major sport but football.
101. I have been to a B(C)S bowl game
102. First TV idol: Quincy, M.E.; I wanted to be Quincy so freaking bad. CSI owes EVERYTHING to Quincy. He was CSI before CSI existed.
103. The first blog I ever read was Lt. SMASH
104. I collect paper dolls. My favorites are a Dionne Quintuplets reproduction.
105. My favorite candy is a Mars bar.
106. I've been to every level of the NHL playoffs except the Stanley Cup. And I paid less than $100 for all of my playoff tickets.
107. I love my SUV. I know how to drive it too. And, yes, we have taken it off-road
108. I have been to the Rose Parade and I helped build a Rose Parade float
109. Asshat is my favorite "internet" word
110. I rarely have female friends, in high school, I had a harem of guys I hung out with. We thought about having "BridesGuys" at the wedding instead of Bridesmaids.
111. My Darling Husband was my high school sweetheart, and he is the best thing that ever happened to me and I'm so glad I've got him. He makes me happy, even when I hate him.

18 Comments:

At Monday, February 14, 2005 11:44:00 PM, Blogger Jay Solo said...

Yay! Someone finally used my "eleventy-one things" concept! (Instead of a mere 100.)

 
At Tuesday, February 15, 2005 12:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And my first thought, on reading #23, is that it only really counted in 1592.

 
At Tuesday, February 15, 2005 6:46:00 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Well, I suppose that depends on the date/time format you use....

 
At Saturday, February 19, 2005 2:10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, gee, I really love May the Fourth! Please, send me an email saying that!
You know, between the two of us, we can both crochet and knit!
I was in basic training the year you were born. (and a year out of college - oh, I'm old!!)

 
At Saturday, February 19, 2005 2:53:00 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

I will try to remember :)

 
At Monday, March 21, 2005 9:23:00 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I thought *I* was the only one who read all the bathroom containers/packages! LOL

I'll be heading out toward your native land in a couple of months. We're moving to the Travis AFB area. It'll be my first taste of life on the west coast.

 
At Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It took me about 5 clicks to get from "The Mother Of All Google Searches" to your blog.

I took kindergarden twice, am Christian but hate church for the same reason, I too also believe in the Conservation of Crap theory but probably not as adimently(forgive the spelling), I know someone who has 0.0000000 redneck in them. I can you might be a little random lol.

Do you have the recipe for your wedding cake, I always wanted to bake a cake that would last 5 years(besides the one that came out of the oven closer to a brick than a cake)!

Did you know asshat was the first used in the US by an Inuit man named Pukkeenegak who slipped across the border in his kayak. God bless the Inuit!

This is the firt blog I have read.

I also have one question I would like to ask the world, "Does anyone else feel like having a little giggle when I mention my friend Bigus Dickus?"

P.S. Because of your basketball background and because either my graphics card is shot or my computer sucks(though it's probably both)scrolling was a pain but it was worth it to read your post.

P.S.#2(I never remember if you put two P's or two S's)I just realized that my comment is like 10x's longer than anyone elses. And even though it says the time I posted this was 6 o'clock it is now 9 o'clock. Sad huh?

 
At Thursday, March 31, 2005 9:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

nevermind about the time thing, it must have updated...

 
At Thursday, April 28, 2005 4:55:00 PM, Blogger pam said...

You did not just say "Trader Joe's"! That is, like, the best place EVER! I get an adrenaline rush every time i go in there, which is often.
I love the A-Team too....Mr. T. ROCKS and Quincy was a favorite of mine too! hehe...

Also...my husband is a rocket scientist. No...really...he is! :-)

 
At Wednesday, September 07, 2005 6:52:00 PM, Blogger TonyGuitar said...

You really give true meaning to the phrase *Know Thyself*

I held your list of traits next to my list of requirements and you do qualify in almost every way. Your chioce of Paul Simon for music is a true ringer.

Careful anaysis through the vibes of this site reveals your mate treats you very well.

Guess stealing you away is out. You are obviously happy.

In any case I'm fairly new and find this Blogaholism to be delightful. 73s TonyGuitar

 
At Tuesday, September 20, 2005 5:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I thought I was the only kid at Tech who had been in guard. I miss it enough to think about joining PCC's marching band and to buy my own equipment. Anyway, just thought that was interesting.

 
At Monday, November 28, 2005 5:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It may be time to lose item 48 of your eleventy-one things. OK, so I'm being (as Billy DeWolf would say) "Picky, Picky, Picky!"

 
At Thursday, June 08, 2006 10:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read your 111 things. All are OK except hating the Beatles. I know this is probably rebellion against everyone in my generation who considers them gods, beyond criticism, but you didn't grow up then so you don't undertand.

I am from Pasadena, and used to play at Caltech parties in the 60s.

 
At Saturday, August 12, 2006 9:57:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The world needs more people like you ... funny, smart, thought provoking ! Blog On.

 
At Thursday, March 22, 2007 9:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your site. Son is a '94 phy chem grad from Blacker House. Did drama. Still lives in La Crescenta. Does biochem after Berkeley. Escaped the politics. Brother's brother-in-law is Dean of the DDome. Go UNC. Any comments on Numbers' Cal Sci?

 
At Monday, May 07, 2007 8:50:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought my wife was the only person born on November 11th in Fresburg!

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:43:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

81. I have been a "bridesmaid" in a gay Jewish wedding


So in your mind this wasn't a real wedding at all? You should have just stayed at home. We don't need "support" like yours.

 
At Sunday, January 24, 2010 11:26:00 AM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Actually, you chickenshit, the quotes refer to the fact that neither participant was a bride, not the legitimacy or "realness" of the wedding.

For the record, although why I respond to a venomous asshole like you I don't know, I love both of them, and as far as "real" goes, it was the most loving, supportive, wonderful wedding I have ever been to.

People like YOU who have NO idea, who fire off cheap shots in a public forum without even leaving an email address to identify yourself, who call people out for perceived slights without inquiry, who assume everyone hates you, YOU are the real problem.

Get off the bitter pills. Stay away from my blog until you do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home