< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://caltechgirlsworld.mu.nu/" /> Not Exactly Rocket Science: I have a confession to make...

Friday, December 03, 2004

I have a confession to make...

(warning sappy content follows...)

I read this post a year ago over at Deb's original blog, and it made ME feel all warm and fuzzy inside, and today, it still does. Go and read it first, then come back, I'll wait.

Yes, I can relate to it geographically, being from Fresno and now having to deal with cold as well.
Yes, I can relate to it personally, having been in a long-distance relationship (even after my marriage.... but that's a long story....).

But here's the thing that gets me: what I feel most when I read that post is knowing that feeling of peace. The peace you get when you know something is right. For Deb, it was a pair of fuzzy blue socks, for me it was a random kiss on my forehead from a grateful friend who I knew was about to be elevated a notch in my esteem, even though it was the worst thing I could think of. How can I put this... ummm, well, let's just say that my darling husband was less than darling in high school. Think scruffy, skinny, unshaven, and you'll be close. He was on the less than desireable end of the looks spectrum, frequently smelly (he ran XC and track), broke, and driver's-licenseless. I was going away to school. I already had a boyfriend (albeit an absent one because he was already away at school). There were a zillion reasons why we should never have started dating, but there was that moment, that feeling of peace, and I knew it was right. I was seventeen and I was going to follow this guy wherever he wanted to go for the rest of my life. Yeah, I know, corny, unrealistic, naive. Perhaps, but I was in love and I still am. For more than a decade now. I married my best friend. The one who makes me laugh and gives me that feeling of peace. So for that, I just want to say thank you.

And thanks Deb, for reminding me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home