< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://caltechgirlsworld.mu.nu/" /> Not Exactly Rocket Science: Trackback Follies

Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Trackback Follies

Joe Gandelman posts on the recent increase in trackbacks to articles without links to his page. I've had the same problem. There was also a pretty interesting discussion about this recently among the Bear Flaggers.

What I've noticed is that most of the folks who send me erroneous trackback pings are actually pinging the article that I've also linked. I can't believe that all of these trackbacks are due to impolite morons. Does anyone out there know if there's a possible glitch in the trackback system that directs a ping to all of the blogs that are linked to a particular post, rather than just the linked post? The ONLY erroneous trackbacks I've seen are directed at pages I've linked to in the post receiving the trackback. If that's true, then I apologize for any erroneous trackbacks I may have generated unwittingly.....
(Obviously I'm not talking about trackback spam for v!agra or pROn.... I'm talking about real trackbacks...)

What do you all think?

Update: There's a clarification as to EXACTLY what I'm seeing in the comments....

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 18, 2005 8:05:00 PM, Blogger Xrlq said...

Do they also just trackback the page you linked to, or do they link to that page and trackback, while only trackbacking to you?

 
At Tuesday, January 18, 2005 8:25:00 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Most of them link and trackback to the article I've linked and pinged. It's as if they're either pinging all the pages that linked the original post or their ping tracks back to all the linked articles, for example, see the trackback on the JibJab post below. The post generating the ping links Michelle Malkin's post and does trackback to it as well,but there's no link to me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home