April Fools Day
Not just for kids.
I love to pull silly jokes on April Fools Day, and one of my favorite things to do is to serve food that isn't always what it seems. I've seen other people do this for a dinner party or kids party, but it's fun any time of year. Here's one of my favorite "not dessert" recipes:
* Two round cake pans
* Your favorite meatloaf recipe (see below)
* Mashed potatoes
* Ketchup (or whatever condiments you like with meatloaf: mustard, BBQ sauce, etc)
* Cherry tomatoes
Prepare your favorite meatloaf recipe as you normally would, but, before baking, divide the mixture into the two round cake pans and pat it flat. Bake as usual, but shorten the cooking time (these thinner meatloaves won't take nearly as long to cook). While the meatloaf is in the oven, make a batch of mashed potatoes, adding a little extra milk to them and whipping them with an electric beater until they are fluffy and spreadable. When the meatloaves are done, invert one of them onto a round plate. Cover the meat with a thick, even layer of mashed potatoes. Place the other meatloaf on top of the potato layer, and finish frosting the "cake" with the remaining potatoes. Garnish with halved cherry tomatoes to look like cherries. Just before serving, decorate the top of your crazy cake creation with ketchup. You can use it to write a personalized message to the hungry gang at the dinner table, or just a simple "Happy April Fool's Day!"
Here's a simple meatloaf recipe that gets rave reviews at my house:
Simply Delicious Meatloaf
1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1/2 cup Italian seasoned dry bread crumbs
1 egg, beaten
1 can (10 3/4 oz.) Campbell's Golden Mushroom (Cream of Mushroom works too) soup
1/4 cup water
1. Mix beef, breadcrumbs, and egg thoroughly. In medium baking pan shape firmly into 8 x 4 inch loaf pan.
2. Bake at 350 deg. F for 30 minutes. Spread 1/2 can soup over top of meatloaf. Bake 30 minutes more or until meat is no longer pink (160 deg. F)
3. In a small saucepan mix 2 tbsp drippings and remaining soup and water. Heat through. Pour over meatloaf. (omit this step for meatloaf cake)
Get more April Fools food ideas here.
This week's Carnival of the Recipes is hosted by John of Texas Best Grok, so get those recipes in to recipe-dot-carnival-at-gmail-dot-com by 12 AM EST Thursday night!