< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://caltechgirlsworld.mu.nu/" /> Not Exactly Rocket Science: More recipe blogging....

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

More recipe blogging....

I return to this week's Carnival of the Recipes with a great recipe that's quick, yummy and a real favorite. Great for parties and potlucks and can be made ahead of time!
My mother got this recipe from a cookbook that the parents at my preschool put together in 1979 or 1980, and I believe the original came from a cookbooklet that you could get for free with purchase of Dr. Pepper in the early and mid 197os.

Dr. Pepper Meatballs

Meatballs:
1 pound ground beef
1 beaten egg
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Sauce:
2 to 3 tablespoons oil
1 cup Dr. Pepper (Diet Dr. Pepper works just as well!)
1/4 teaspoons dry mustard
2 tablespoon ketchup
pepper to taste
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon soy sauce

Combine meatball ingredients, shape into balls and brown on all sides in a skillet. Mix the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil. Add the meatballs to the sauce, cook on low until the sauce almost disappears, either on the stovetop or in a crockpot.

4 Comments:

At Sunday, March 13, 2005 12:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, I think this is a really cool recipe, and I'm probably gonna try it tonight, but I just had a question.

In my experience, meatballs always go with something, usually pasta. Do you have any reccomendations on what these would be good to go with, cuz I was thinking just spaghetti with tomato sauce.

 
At Sunday, March 13, 2005 9:10:00 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

The sauce is pretty strongly flavored, so it probably wouldn't go so well with spaghetti sauce.... Usually we serve it with plain pasta or french fries.

 
At Sunday, March 13, 2005 10:06:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We wound up having it with plain pasta and it was great. Reminded me of mama's meatloaf. I was skeptical at first, but it wound up being a great evening. Thanks for the recipe :)

 
At Tuesday, September 20, 2005 12:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember my mother serving these when I was a child.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home