< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://caltechgirlsworld.mu.nu/" /> Not Exactly Rocket Science: Cookie time!

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Cookie time!

This is my favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe, swiped from the Ghirardelli chip bag.

I'm not sure if it's the reicpe (mmmm butter and sugar), the chocolate (mmmm Ghirardelli....) or the story of the first time I made these, which I will share below, so that those of you who only want the recipe don't have to scroll:

Ghirardelli Chocolate Chip Cookies
2 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup sweet (unsalted) butter, softened (2 sticks)
3/4 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
1 cup walnuts (optional)
1 bag (12 oz) Ghirardelli chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375 deg.
2. Stir together flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl
3. In a large bowl, beat together butter with brown and white sugar on medium speed until lightened in color (about 4 minutes)
4. Add vanilla and eggs (one at a time) until well blended.
5. Gradually blend dry ingredients into creamed mixture. Stir in nuts and chocolate chips.
6. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets.
7. Bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown.
Makes 3-4 dozen.

So here's the story: My freshman year in college was a tough year for me and my husband (then my boyfriend). His parents had recently cleared up some issues, and then moved up into the mountains. I was in LA and he was still in Fresno that summer. I came home for the weekend and went up to his house to hang out. I wouldn't leave the house (terrified of snakes) and it was a pain in the ass to go anywhere, so we raided the refrigerator and made like a triple batch of these cookies, literally 10 or 11 dozen. It took all day and by the time we were done his dad came home from work, and I think he ate about half of them. All I know is that by the time my then future sister-in-law came home, they were gone. This was the first time I had fun with his family (my relationship with them hasn't always been the best), and whenever I make these cookies, it seems like we have a good time. Maybe it's just the chocolate, although I have never been a chocoholic.

5 Comments:

At Friday, January 07, 2005 1:25:00 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

Yes, will be corrected above, shortly.

 
At Friday, January 07, 2005 3:06:00 PM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

If I only have salted butter and I can't get sweet butter, I just leave the salt out and it generally comes out ok.

 
At Friday, January 07, 2005 4:14:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry Caltechgirl! I don't know how I missed your post, but I've added your recipe to the Carnival.

Matthew(aka Physics Geek)

 
At Saturday, January 08, 2005 9:06:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh that is a tasty recipe! Big fat yummers!

I will soon share a brownie recipe that will knock your flippin' socks off.

 
At Sunday, January 09, 2005 7:28:00 PM, Blogger vw bug said...

I love the Ghir recipe. Even if I can't find their chocolate chips, I still use their recipe with whatever choc chips I can find. Yummy yummy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home