< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://caltechgirlsworld.mu.nu/" /> Not Exactly Rocket Science: Here's my recipe for this week

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Here's my recipe for this week

I feel silly submitting a recipe to myself, but what can you do?
Since I'm making it tomorrow night, I thought I would share one of my favorite cake recipes, Hot Milk Sponge Cake, which is a really old-fashioned cake that's low-fat and low sugar and is similar to traditional Indian cakes as well (or so I've been told). This cake is also known as Baby Shower Cake, since that generally what I end up making it for. A double recipe baked in a decorative bundt pan makes a lovely cake.

Hot Milk Sponge Cake
2 eggs
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk (I use whole to get more flavor)
2 Tbsp butter
powdered sugar for dusting (optional)

1. Allow eggs to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, grease a 9x9x2 square baking pan, set pan aside. Stir together flour and baking powder, set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a medium mixing bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer on high speed about 4 minutes or until thick. Gradually add sugar, beating on medium speed for 4 to 5 minutes or until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture, beat on low to medium speed until combined.
3. In a small saucepan heat and stir milk and butter until butter melts, add to batter, beating until combined. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
4. Bake in 350 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack. If you're using a larger recipe and a bundt pan, cook 35-40 minutes, but check your progress after 25 minutes or so since cooking times will vary depending on the size of the bundt pan. After removing from the pan, dust with powdered sugar if desired.

2 Comments:

At Thursday, January 20, 2005 3:57:00 PM, Blogger Feisty said...

Now that is an interesting cake recipe. I have a ladies' thing coming up soon and I've already printed this one out.

Thanks!

 
At Saturday, January 22, 2005 5:03:00 PM, Blogger Earth Girl said...

This is my mother's recipe! This is the first time I've ever seen it outside her kitchen. You said it was old-fashioned and she baked it often in the 50s and 60s when I was a young. Her recipe is almost the same but she adds 1 tsp vanilla.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home