< link rel="DCTERMS.isreplacedby" href="http://caltechgirlsworld.mu.nu/" /> Not Exactly Rocket Science: Memories of John Paul II

Friday, April 01, 2005

Memories of John Paul II

As we wait to hear that the Pope has left this world for the next, I'm reminded of so many things. Technically I've been alive through the tenure of three Popes, but given the fact that I'm 28, this Pope has always been the face of the Catholic church for me.

I was not quite 2 years old when John Paul I died, but I remember the hoopla surrounding his death just a month after his election, and then the election of John Paul II. I remember when he was shot, and I remember when he met the man who shot him and forgave him. I remember the introduction of the "PopeMobile" and how funny we thought it was.

But my favorite of John Paul II's actions as Pope has always been his apology to Galileo on behalf of a church that took 400 years to admit that it was wrong.

After today I won't get to use my favorite joke rhetorical question anymore: Is the Pope Polish?

2 Comments:

At Friday, April 01, 2005 11:43:00 PM, Blogger Xrlq said...

Now that we've had two John Pauls, what say we call the next Pope George Ringo?

 
At Sunday, April 03, 2005 11:16:00 AM, Blogger Caltechgirl said...

That is TERRIBLE

 

Post a Comment

<< Home